I love handbags. Sometimes, I go for the cheap and trendy bag of the season. As long as the bag will hold up for the season I don’t mind. However, there are bags that just speak to me. However, I hold myself back from getting said bag because of the astronomical price.
So I decided that next year will be the year of me! All me! So I decided to get myself an investment bag. Now that depends on what you consider an investment. Some handbag fanatics are real picky about what is considered an investment bag: Coach wouldn’t be considered an investment bag but LV or Zac Posen would be.
A flashback from the greatest magazine Martha Stewart ever put out Blueprint: Investment bags!
Tips for buying the investment bag
- Buy the best you can afford! The better brands will hold up better and some companies will repair or replace the bag if there is a defect.
- Are you wiling to go off the beaten path of Gucci, Prada, and Chanel? Try Furla, Coccinelle, Fossil, DKNY, Francesco Biasia, Tosca Blu and Zac Posen. These handbag lines carry timeless pieces and not everyone has them!
- Know thyself! Life is rough…your handbag needs to handle that! Dark textured leather can take a beating like nothing else.
- Think of your bag as an accessory that says a lot about you and is the finishing touch to every outfit. Consequently, you have to know your style and match your bag accordingly!
- Try it on! Ignore the snooty shop people and put all your stuff inside. Does the bag hold its shape? Any weird bulges? An overstuffed bag with a plastic overspill bag does not say nice things!
- Designer bags on the cheap: because paying retail is a sin! Well, TJ Maxx, Filene’s Basement and Marshall’s are great places to find bags. A great option if you are willing to dig to find the gems!
- Take advantage of online discount codes and seasonal sales to buy bags you want at a greatly reduced price.
- Avoid logos as much as possible because these get played out with a quickness. Go for a limited edition bag instead!
- A fan of a specific label? Join the mailing list because oftentimes you get first pick and/or special discounts.
- Get invited to sample sales or harass yeshlitikvah to take you handbag shopping. Unlike clothing sample sales which carry only a certain size…handbag sample sales are not as hectic. You know what you want, grab it and go. Another great way to snag a designer handbag on the cheap!